Baseball Trivia (General)/Fielder's Choice vs. error

Question
How do you score....situation: runner on first, ball hit to shortstop. Shortstop throws to second for the out. I understand this would be scored a fielder's choice. Then in an attempt to make a double play, 2nd baseman throws to first, but short hops it to first and it gets by the 1st baseman. Runner does not advance to second. Is this merely scored a fielder's choice or can you have both a FC and an error on the same play?

Answer
Hi Cheri,

This is a just a fielder's choice. Had the runner advanced to second, then it would have been a FC and E4. You can indeed have a fielder's choice and error on the same play. Happened the other night in a Rangers game. There was a caught stealing and an error on the same play. The runner took off before the pitcher went to the plate. A rundown ensued. Pitcher threw to first, first to shortstop covering second, short threw to first who dropped the ball attempting to tag the runner, who ended up safe back on first. The resulting play went:

CS 1-3-6-E3

Baseball Trivia (General)

Tom Schott