Baseball Trivia (General)/11-inning game score

Hi Tom.  The other day, the Astros and A's played an 11-inning game that ended 5-4 after being 0-0 through 9 innings.  I was wondering if this might be a record, or at least approach the record high score for an extra inning-game, or at least an 11-inning game, that entered extra innings scoreless?

Hello, Chuck,

Good question. As far as I can tell, the record for runs after a scoreless nine innings is 10. It was in a game played on May 15, 1919 between Cincinnati and Brooklyn. Here is the box score:

A quick check of sources reveals that 9 runs is far from the record number that was scored in extra innings. The record there is 15. You will find a list of these latter games at

Baseball Trivia (General)

Tom Schott

I will deal with the major leagues only from 19th century to present. I`m good on baseball history, records, statistics, ballparks. I don't do off-the-field stuff. Please if you already know the answer to the question, please don't ask it. I don't want to play "stump the expert."

I've written on the subject, and I have substantial library of resources.

Numerous encyclopedia, newspaper, magazine articles. One book, several book chapters.

Ph.D. in American history.

Bevy of writing awards.