Baseball Trivia (General)/The Relief Pitcher role

Has there even been a starter that after the season ended became an end-of-the-game late inning (one inning and more than one appearance) relief pitcher in the same season for the playoffs? I know Linsecom - but he was more like long relief for the Giants in 2012. And I know Smoltz changed to the bullpen after 5 games. I'm just wondering if teams would consider moving multiple starters to the bullpen someday in the future and if there was evidence that a starter turned a one-inning relief pitcher (more than once during the playoffs in that saosn after being a starter)with success.

Hi, Jim,

There have been numerous post-seasons where a manager used a pitcher both as a front-line starter and as a bull pen guy. But none that I can think of that meet your criterion as being turned into a one-inning successful relief pitcher.

I think the nature of the game is changing significantly in the way pitchers are used. It's likely that we're going to see more specialization in pitchers, and it would not surprise me when it gets to the point that starters are only routinely and be design going 3-4 innings per start, that they could also wear second hats as late-inning, one-inning specialists.  

Baseball Trivia (General)

Tom Schott

I will deal with the major leagues only from 19th century to present. I`m good on baseball history, records, statistics, ballparks. I don't do off-the-field stuff. Please if you already know the answer to the question, please don't ask it. I don't want to play "stump the expert."

I've written on the subject, and I have substantial library of resources.

Numerous encyclopedia, newspaper, magazine articles. One book, several book chapters.

Ph.D. in American history.

Bevy of writing awards.