Basic Math/Mathmatical Reasoning

kiki wrote at 2013-01-13 09:53:55
left to right rule exception for regards to question "Why does the left to right rule mean that you don't always do multiplication before division or addition before subtraction? "  think of the simple basic terms of math. if we have something like 8-4 the answer (left to right# will always be correctly posted as 4.....however without that basic rule one could possibly get -4 #if going from right to left)...same is true of more complicated equations. 4+4x4 will equal 20 if one forgets the basic left to right rule and ONLY follows the flawed pemdas rule...when the correct answer calls for the equation to be noted as 4+4=20X4=80 because there were no parenthesis to denote the multiplication comes first.....that is why the exception to the pemdas is now included in most modern schools when teaching. just because more rules are added to help the aid of a more complicated equation, does not mean you forget the basic building blocks of doing math.

Basic Math

John Zalewski

I can help you solve problems involving fractions, decimals, ratios, and algebra. I can teach you how to do math faster, and even in your head. I can teach math definitions, and help you study, if necessary. Please do not ask any graphing, trigonometry, or calculus questions. Try to work through homework questions before asking for assistance.

I routinely process numbers of all kinds in my head, without need of a calculator.

I was an A math student while in high school.