Basic Math/More Fractions :)

Hiya, Mr.John.

Thank you that did help, Wow this is so easy! Now I have a quick question. When I get my last answer lets say in fractions, like this... 7 divided  by 2/3 = 7/1 x 3/2 = 21/2 = ? Since 2x10 = 20 Do I put 10 1/2? And why?

If I do put 1/2 Do i do that with every number, like If i am 2 numbers away from the numerator, do I put how many are there till I reach that number? Hope I didn't confuse you...

So I was dividing whole numbers by fractions, But now I am Dividing fractions by fractions? My book says.

First we write the equivalent multiplication sentence that shows multiplying by the reciprocal of the divisor. 8/9 divided by 2/3 = 8/9 x 3/2 ??? Huh? Now you multiply using cancellation.

Reply when you can, I really appreciate this, Thank you so much!

Hello, Ashleigh.

Question: What grade are you in?

Yes, 7/1 divided by 2/3 equals 7/1 x 3/2, or 21/2. I don't follow you when you wrote 2x10=20, though. 21/2 can be written as 10 1/2 because 21/2 = 10 1/2. (21/2 = 10, remainder 1).

Also, your next line talking about '2 numbers away' is confusing me. Please clarify if you wish.

Yes, as you've done before, 8/9 divided by 2/3 is the same as multiplying by its reciprocal: 8/9 x 3/2, or 24/18.

You can reduce these numbers before multiplying, though. 8/9 x 3/2: the 8 in the numerator of the first fraction can be halved (divided by 2), and the denominator of the second fraction can be divided by 2 (giving you 1). For the first fraction, the numerator (9) can be divided by 3, giving you 3, and the numerator for the second fraction (3) can be reduced by that same amount, giving you 1.

So, your new problem is 4/3 x 1/1, or 4/3 x 1, or 4/3.

If you reduce 24/18, you will find that it simplifies to 4/3.

When cancelling, you can only reduce numbers on opposite sides of the fraction bar. You cannot reduce two denominators with each other, for example. You can reduce the denominator and numerator of the same fraction (making 2/4 a 1/2), or you can reduce the denominator of one fraction, and numerator of the other, or vice versa.

Hope this helps.

Basic Math

John Zalewski

I can help you solve problems involving fractions, decimals, ratios, and algebra. I can teach you how to do math faster, and even in your head. I can teach math definitions, and help you study, if necessary. Please do not ask any graphing, trigonometry, or calculus questions. Try to work through homework questions before asking for assistance.

I routinely process numbers of all kinds in my head, without need of a calculator.

I was an A math student while in high school.