Basic Math/Decimals :)

Hello, Mr.Zalewski :) Happy New Year!

I am doing Decimals. And on my book it has this:

+ 0.894

I have to estimate it to the nearest whole number. Does that mean I change all of them to 1 ? Or a number close to the numbers in the tenths place?

I appreciate your help.

Hello, Ashleigh.

Hi. Thanks!

Estimating to the nearest whole number means rounding to the nearest whole number. Therefore, if the digit to the immediate right of the ones place (the tenths digit) is 5 or greater, round up. If it's 4 or less, round down.

For your numbers, you'd round 0.294 down to 0; round 0.694 up to 1, and round 0.894 up to 1. Adding these gives you a total of 2.

Answer: 2.

Hope this helps.

Basic Math

John Zalewski

I can help you solve problems involving fractions, decimals, ratios, and algebra. I can teach you how to do math faster, and even in your head. I can teach math definitions, and help you study, if necessary. Please do not ask any graphing, trigonometry, or calculus questions. Try to work through homework questions before asking for assistance.

I routinely process numbers of all kinds in my head, without need of a calculator.

I was an A math student while in high school.