Basic Math/Decimals :)

Question
Hello, Mr.Zalewski :) Happy New Year!

I am doing Decimals. And on my book it has this:

0.294
 0.694
+ 0.894

I have to estimate it to the nearest whole number. Does that mean I change all of them to 1 ? Or a number close to the numbers in the tenths place?

I appreciate your help.

Ashleigh.

Answer
Hello, Ashleigh.

Hi. Thanks!

Estimating to the nearest whole number means rounding to the nearest whole number. Therefore, if the digit to the immediate right of the ones place (the tenths digit) is 5 or greater, round up. If it's 4 or less, round down.

For your numbers, you'd round 0.294 down to 0; round 0.694 up to 1, and round 0.894 up to 1. Adding these gives you a total of 2.

Answer: 2.

Hope this helps.

John

Basic Math

John Zalewski