Basic Math/16 = 4% X ?

I saw this calculation in an old textbook and I'm curious to know how it produces the answer.

16 = 4% X ?

Divide 16 and 4% by 4 ---> 16/4 = 4%/4 equals 4 = 1%.
Now multiply 4 and 1% by 100 the result is 400 = 100%.
400 is the answer.

Can you explain more about how this usual calculation produces the correct answer?

I thank you for your reply.

So if you want 4% of something, then that's definitely a small portion, right? Which means a small portion of this unknown number x is equal to 16. Since dividing by 2 is the same as multiplying by one half, diving by one half is the same as multiplying by 2. Now, since you're dividing by .04, which is approximately 1/25, you're simply multiplying the number by 25. So it's basically 16*25, which is equal to 400.

Basic Math

Hsin Tung

Anything from elementary to high school is fair game. I'm also experienced in standardized testing, such as SAT subject test math level 2, SAT math portion, and AP Calculus exam. The only problems I will have difficulty in are those that have no relevance to Algebra itself such as Geometry and number theory.

I have taken: Algebra, Geometry, Algebra 2, Math Analysis (Pre-Calculus), and AP Calculus AB. I have received all A's for each year other than one semester in Math Analysis when I was transferring schools. I tutor after school at the library, usually focusing on Algebra for the most part.

I am: Officer of Asian club; President of SAFE club; KDE-RC1 Judge

770 on SAT math portion, 5 on AP Calculus Exam, and 750 on SAT subject test math level 2

John's Hopkins CTY award; OOCE Accounting (1st Place); FBLA Sections for Business Calculations (2nd)