Basic Math/finding value of "x"

Question
My daughter has a math question that has me stumped.  if you draw a square, at the bottom, there is a value of 3x.  She is supposed to find the value of x, and determine the area of the square.  Not sure how to find the value of x with no other figures available?

Answer
Hello, Lynn.

There is no way to find X in such a problem.

What you have in this problem is a square, with one side measuring 3x. Since each side of a square is equivalent in length, we know that the area of this square is (3x)(3x), or 9x^2. (The area of a square is equal to the length of one of its sides multiplied by itself.)

If you knew the perimeter of the square, for example, then you could solve for X. Say that the perimeter is 48 inches. Then you'd know that each side is 12 inches long (48/4=12), and that 3X must equal 12, Therefore, X would be 4 (3 x 4 = 12).

However, as stated above, there simply isn't enough information, as far as I can see, to solve for X. X could be 1000, 2, .000004, etc.

Hope this helps.

John

Basic Math

John Zalewski