Basic Math/Ordering Decimals

Question
How can we order decimals in ascending and descending order?

Answer
Hello, Aiman.

To order decimals in ascending (or descending) order, you need to compare the digits in each number. For example, let's take the decimals .248, .233, and .345.

Two of the decimals start with a 2 in the tenths place, but the other begins with a 3. 3 is greater than 2, so .345 is the largest of these three numbers. Between .248 and .233, you need to compare the hundredths digit (since they both have a 2 in the tenths spot), and you'll see that .248 has a 4, and .233 has a 3. So, .248 is larger than .233.

So, from highest to lowest, you'd write .345, .248, and .233.

If you want to write the decimals from lowest to highest you'd simply reverse the order: .233, .248, .345.

Hope this helps.

John

Basic Math

John Zalewski