Basic Math/Algebra college level 100 intermediate

I keep doing the problem wrong and would like to see it done, so that I mat understand it and apply knowledge to other like problems. Can you help me?
problem: Let f(x)=(x-2)^ and g(x)=x+1 and find the following
a)(f o g)(-1)
b)(g o f)(-1)

Hello, Jennifer.

I assume that f(x) = (x-2)^2.

Questions like these can be rewritten as (f 0 (g(-1)), or, for the second question, (g 0 (f(-1)).

A) First solve (g 0 -1). This is equal to -1 + 1, or 0. Next, solve f(0), which is equal to (0-2)^2, or 4.
B) First solve (f 0 -1). This is equal to (-1 - 2)^2, or 9. Next, solve g(9), which equals 9+1, or 10.

Answers: A) 4; B) 10.

I hope this helps. Any further questions, please ask.

Basic Math

John Zalewski

I can help you solve problems involving fractions, decimals, ratios, and algebra. I can teach you how to do math faster, and even in your head. I can teach math definitions, and help you study, if necessary. Please do not ask any graphing, trigonometry, or calculus questions. Try to work through homework questions before asking for assistance.

I routinely process numbers of all kinds in my head, without need of a calculator.

I was an A math student while in high school.