Basic Math/Algebra college level 100 intermediate

Question
I keep doing the problem wrong and would like to see it done, so that I mat understand it and apply knowledge to other like problems. Can you help me?

problem: Let f(x)=(x-2)^ and g(x)=x+1 and find the following
a)(f o g)(-1)
b)(g o f)(-1)

Answer
Hello, Jennifer.

I assume that f(x) = (x-2)^2.

Questions like these can be rewritten as (f 0 (g(-1)), or, for the second question, (g 0 (f(-1)).

A) First solve (g 0 -1). This is equal to -1 + 1, or 0. Next, solve f(0), which is equal to (0-2)^2, or 4.
B) First solve (f 0 -1). This is equal to (-1 - 2)^2, or 9. Next, solve g(9), which equals 9+1, or 10.

Answers: A) 4; B) 10.

I hope this helps. Any further questions, please ask.

John  

Basic Math

John Zalewski