Basic Math/Proportions

I have a question that I hope you can answer.  I want to solve the following by using a proportion, but I'm not sure what units to use on one side of the equal sign.

Two partners, A and B, share $1000.00 in a ratio of 2:3. How much does each get?

I know that one side of the proportion will have dollars as the units, but I do not know what units will be on the other side of the proportion.  Can you explain?

?/? = $/?1000.00

Answers: Mr. Jones $400.00; Mr. Smith $600.00.

I thank you for your reply.

I will explain this with a simpler method. The proportion is given as 2:3. This means that out of 5 equal parts of the total amount, person A gets 2 parts and person B gets 3 parts. So we will divide $1000 in 5 equal parts (1000/5) which comes out to be $200.
Now person A gets 2 parts which is 2*200 = $400
And person B gets 3 parts which is 2*300 = $600

I hope this helps.
All the best!

Basic Math

Pawan Musale

I can answer Basic Mathematics questions like: Natural Numbers, Integers, Real Numbers, Complex Numbers, Number Theory, Geometry, Trigonometry, Graph Theory, Square Roots, Basic Integration, Profit-Loss problems, Work-Time problems, Equations etc I can try to answer questions of probability and set theory

Tutoring on since long time

I am Bachelor of Engineering (Instrumentation) from the reputed institute in India.

I was 18th in High School Scholarship examination in Maharashtra State of India. I was second in Mathematics in Maharashtra State in Secondary School Certificate examination.