Basic Math/math

Question
Dear John:

I write mystery novels - I'm working on a scene involving a combination safe - a 3 number combination - safe dial from 0 to 99, and would like to know the number of possible combinations available.

Sincere thanks for your time.

Jerry Kennealy

Answer
Hello, Jerry.

That's interesting. I have also written books. I wish you the best!

(I'm sorry, but my previous answer (if you received it) was incorrect. I forgot to take the 0 on the safe dial into account.)

If the numbers may be repeated: 100 x 100 x 100, or 1,000,000 different safe combinations.

If the numbers may not be repeated: 100 x 99 x 98, or 970,200 different safe combinations.

Hope this helps.

John

Basic Math

John Zalewski