Basic Math/A Simple Question...

Hi John,

A friend asked me a question - What is a number between 3 and 5?

I said 3.  Is the only answer (as in whole number) 4?

I realise that I am probably a silly question though I've been thinking about it for quite some time now.

Many thanks

Hello, Stephen.

Yes, the only whole number between 3 and 5 is 4, though there are an infinite number of real numbers (all possible fractions, decimals, etc.) between those two points. Such possible real numbers would include 3.0005, 3.25, 4.484377383395373993593894839999993331, and 4.75.

Basic Math

John Zalewski

I can help you solve problems involving fractions, decimals, ratios, and algebra. I can teach you how to do math faster, and even in your head. I can teach math definitions, and help you study, if necessary. Please do not ask any graphing, trigonometry, or calculus questions. Try to work through homework questions before asking for assistance.

I routinely process numbers of all kinds in my head, without need of a calculator.

I was an A math student while in high school.