Basic Math/sets in mathematics

Dear Sir,
My question is related to the concept of sets in mathematics

Please clarify me about the use of sets in general life, which we use in mathematics.
e.g. X ={1,3,5,7},

Similarly what is the concept behind the inclusion of such chapter in mathematics, like
If A & B are sets
Then what is meant by A union B
A intersection B

Their use in general life?

Honestly, a lot of stuff you learn in math class, you will never use again, HOWEVER, I use algebra at least every week, so you never know when you might need to know how to find the circumference of a circle.  That said, the first thing that came to mind for an every day example is the lottery.  The actual lottery numbers are one set, the numbers you choose are another set.  The union is all the numbers, the intersection is generally 1 or fewer numbers and very, very infrequently all the numbers.

EX: x ={14, 58, 34, 50, 12, 4}  #'s you've chosen for lottery
   y ={64, 23, 49, 12, 67, 32}  actual lottery numbers

The union (which is really irrelevant) is (4, 12, 14, 23, 32, 34, 49, 50, 58, 64, 67}
The intersection is {12)

Basic Math

Lynn Houston

I can answer questions in basic algebra and any grade school math.

Love math, currently helping my nephew get through Intermediate Algebra.

I majored in Math Ed in college (but decided not to teach), so have over 40 credits of math.