Basketball Instruction/high school boys basketball rules

A1 is in the act of shooting when B 2 is assessed a technical foul. A1 continues the motion and is fouled by B1. the try is successful. The official awards A1 one free throw followed by administering the technical foul and awarding team A the ball at the division line opposite the scorer's table. Is the official correct. I check the continuous motion rule. Still unclear of the answer.

From what you have described, the officials handled the situation correctly. Once a player is in their shooting motion and gets fouled, if the basket goes, we count it and award them their free throw. Fouls and technical fouls are always administered in the order it happened. Generally speaking, an official should never call a technical foul in the middle of a player shooting, but if it happens to take place concurrently with a shot, then that's okay.  

Basketball Instruction

Bret Temple

My expertise is in the craft of Officiating Basketball and I can answer questions pertaining to basketball rules; youth level through CIF High School, NCAA college and NBA rules as well. I can either help define a specific rule for you, or interpret a specific rule to clarify how other officials and I view and call the game.

I have been a Basketball Official now for over 19 years, officiating at all levels. I have attended numerous training camps throughout the years in an attempt to constantly become a better official. I have been evaluated by top Officiating organizations and Assignors, and I've had the fortunate experience to officiate former Division 1 and NBA players.

NASO (National Association of Sports Officials) CBOA (California Basketball Officials Association)

El Sorrino Officials Association Accreditation CIF Certified(California Interscholastic Federation)

Los Angeles City Parks and Recreation, Calabasas Basketball League, Calabasas Semi-Pro Men's League, AYBA, California Interscholatic Federation, ARC League , Gary Grant Youth Basketball Program