Basketball Instruction/NCAA Tournament Selection

Hi Bret,

I'm not sure whether or not this question lies within your expertise, but your description was the closest I could find.

I'm wondering if regular season (non-exhibition) games vs. Division II opponents are considered by the selection committee of the Division I Men's Basketball Championship Tournament. I understand that games vs. Division II opponents don't factor into the RPI, but is the committee even allowed to consider the result? For example, could a loss to a Division II opponent be considered a proverbial "bad loss"? Or is the particular game just not even "admitted as evidence"?  Thanks, Michael

Thirty one teams gain automatic entry into the tournament by winning their conference's championship, commonly through winning a conference tournament. Or in the sole case of the Ivy league, the regular season title.

The remaining 37 teams for men, 33 for women rely on the selection committee to award them an "at large bid" in the tournament.  The selection process generally takes place on Selection Sunday and the days leading up to it.  This is also when the brackets and seeds are released to the public.  There is a lot more to how the selection committee chooses the teams but this is a snapshot explanation.

I hope that helped out. Thank for the question. March Madness happens to be my favorite time of year for sports. Nothing beats high level college basketball, Not even the NBA.  

Basketball Instruction

Bret Temple

My expertise is in the craft of Officiating Basketball and I can answer questions pertaining to basketball rules; youth level through CIF High School, NCAA college and NBA rules as well. I can either help define a specific rule for you, or interpret a specific rule to clarify how other officials and I view and call the game.

I have been a Basketball Official now for over 19 years, officiating at all levels. I have attended numerous training camps throughout the years in an attempt to constantly become a better official. I have been evaluated by top Officiating organizations and Assignors, and I've had the fortunate experience to officiate former Division 1 and NBA players.

NASO (National Association of Sports Officials) CBOA (California Basketball Officials Association)

El Sorrino Officials Association Accreditation CIF Certified(California Interscholastic Federation)

Los Angeles City Parks and Recreation, Calabasas Basketball League, Calabasas Semi-Pro Men's League, AYBA, California Interscholatic Federation, ARC League , Gary Grant Youth Basketball Program