Basketball Instruction/Interrupted Dribble

Situation ball handler is dribbling in back court ball hits the foot of a defender running away from the play and deflected and still bouncing would the play be considered an ended dribble wherein the ball could be gathered and the dribble restarted.

First of all, sorry it took me so long to get to your question. With the Holidays among us, it's been quite busy. With that being said, in answer to your question, this situation is not unlike a deflected pass. The ball can be gathered and then the dribble re-started as if receiving a pass for the first time. There is also the possibility the official could call a kick ball. It just depends on if the defender stuck his/her foot out.

Thank you for your question.

Basketball Instruction

Bret Temple

My expertise is in the craft of Officiating Basketball and I can answer questions pertaining to basketball rules; youth level through CIF High School, NCAA college and NBA rules as well. I can either help define a specific rule for you, or interpret a specific rule to clarify how other officials and I view and call the game.

I have been a Basketball Official now for over 19 years, officiating at all levels. I have attended numerous training camps throughout the years in an attempt to constantly become a better official. I have been evaluated by top Officiating organizations and Assignors, and I've had the fortunate experience to officiate former Division 1 and NBA players.

NASO (National Association of Sports Officials) CBOA (California Basketball Officials Association)

El Sorrino Officials Association Accreditation CIF Certified(California Interscholastic Federation)

Los Angeles City Parks and Recreation, Calabasas Basketball League, Calabasas Semi-Pro Men's League, AYBA, California Interscholatic Federation, ARC League , Gary Grant Youth Basketball Program