Basketball Instruction/backcourt violation

Question
(High School)Player A1 attempts to inbound the ball to player A2 from the front court sideline.  He throws the ball too high and Player A2 tips it and it goes into the back court (no possession was gained). Player A2 then goes and retrieves the ball in the back court.  Is this a back court violation? It was called a back court violation by the referee.  I disagree because no possession was gained on the inbounding of the ball so there was never a front court possession established. Which is correct?

Answer
Monty Guest,

This was an incorrect call. When the ball is being in-bounded and a player of the same team tips it into the back court, it's legal to go and retrieve it because "Team control" has not been established yet.  

Thanks for your question.

Basketball Instruction

Bret Temple