Basketball Instruction/Loose Ball Foul while Shot went in

We had a situation where Team A shot a 3 pointer and it went in. Team B got called for a foul while the ball was in the air. The ref awarded the 3 pointer and gave Team A possession as well. There was no team in bonus. Should Team A have got the possesion after all of that or Team B?

The official made the correct call.  If a foul is called during a shot attempt while the ball is in flight, the team that was fouled will get possession of the ball for a throw in at the end line, even if the shot is good. There is one example of where this wouldn't be the case. Player A drives to the basket, commits and offensive foul and the ball goes in the basket. Basket gets waived off (High School Rules) and team B would get possession.

Hope that help and thanks for the question.

Basketball Instruction

Bret Temple

My expertise is in the craft of Officiating Basketball and I can answer questions pertaining to basketball rules; youth level through CIF High School, NCAA college and NBA rules as well. I can either help define a specific rule for you, or interpret a specific rule to clarify how other officials and I view and call the game.

I have been a Basketball Official now for over 19 years, officiating at all levels. I have attended numerous training camps throughout the years in an attempt to constantly become a better official. I have been evaluated by top Officiating organizations and Assignors, and I've had the fortunate experience to officiate former Division 1 and NBA players.

NASO (National Association of Sports Officials) CBOA (California Basketball Officials Association)

El Sorrino Officials Association Accreditation CIF Certified(California Interscholastic Federation)

Los Angeles City Parks and Recreation, Calabasas Basketball League, Calabasas Semi-Pro Men's League, AYBA, California Interscholatic Federation, ARC League , Gary Grant Youth Basketball Program