Basketball Instruction/Reaching/ Reach-in foul

Question

There's so much ambiguity and confusion when it comes to the reach-in foul. Just wanted to know from a professional in this sport what it really is.

Thanks.

Answer
H Ashish,

Thanks for your question. Technically, there is no such thing as a reach in foul. When officials report a foul to the scorer's table, we generally have one of a few types a fouls we report. We report a block, charge, illegal contact, push, player control foul, and a hold. A reach in foul is just simply a defender that reaches into the offensive player's space either from behind or in front, and creates contact in order to steal the ball. Basically we report it as a hit, or illegal contact and give the offensive team the ball for an inbounds pass.

Hope that cleared it up for you.  

Basketball Instruction

Bret Temple