Basketball Instruction/Backcourt violation?

Question
High school rules, inbounding the ball from the sideline in the frontcourt.  Ball was passed towards the backcourt.  The player receiving the ball jumps from the frontcourt, catches the ball while in the air, and then lands in the backcourt.  I thought this was ok as I didn't think any player or team is considered in control on an inbounds. Referee ruled it a backcourt violation.  Said player needed to get his feet down in the backcourt before catching the ball.  Is he correct?  Thanks.

Answer
Jim,

This is not correct. On an inbound pass, there is no team control yet, and therefore this is the only time a player can leap from the front court into the back court without establishing his/her feet on the ground first. The official got the call wrong.

Hope that helps. And thanks for your question.  

Basketball Instruction

Bret Temple