Basketball Instruction/Q&A

Question
QUESTION: What is a typical day like for you?

ANSWER: Since I am retired my days are anything but typical.  When I was coaching and teaching during the season I normally got up at 5 and got to work by 6 to take care of preparing for my teaching responsibilities.  Practice was either at 3 or 5 after school.  During the day I made a point to get out in the halls to see our players as they went between classes.  After practice we would plan the next days practice as a coaching staff while the players lifted weights 3 days out of 6.  At night I would watch film of upcoming opponents and put the finishing touches on the practice plan which was then emailed out to assistants.  

Hope that is what you had in mind?  Please be more specific if that does not answer your question.

QUESTION: 2.  What are the best aspects of this profession?
3.  What are the least desirable aspects of this profession?
4.  Who are the major employers of people in this field?
5.  What does it take to succeed?
6.  What educational background is required?
7.  Are there related jobs?
8.  What professional organizations or associations are affiliated with this career?
9.  Are there any hot topics or controversial issues associated with this career?
10. Are there any magazines or periodicals that people in this field typically read?
11. Are there any books, tv shows, or movies that adequately portray people in this profession?
12.  What does the future hold for this particular career?
13.  What kind of quality of life does this career afford?

Answer
2 Working with payers would want to improve and get better and love to play.
3. Dealing with those obsessed with playing time, scoring and limelight, rather than being part of a team.  Some parents fall in this category more than players.
4. Schools and Colleges
5. Focus on getting better each day in individual skills and especially team play.
6. Coaching license and teaching degree
7. Yes.  Main job is teaching in the classroom.
8. State and National Coaches associations
9. Playing time.  More players come out than positions so cutting is very hard.  Keeping focus on improvement rather than winning.  Some try to win at all costs. Recruiting.
10.  Nat Federation of Sports publications.  Sport pages, State monthly coaches association journals, lots of coaching books, but most important is clinics where we share techniques, strategies, and ways to teach the game.
11.  Most major college coaches have books on the field.  John Wooden and Bobby Knight were favorites of mine.
12.  Always rewarding working with players but firings are common since winning is usually more valued than teaching and improvement.
13.  Long hours and hard work, but the chance to form great relationships and many exciting moments as you compete in games.  Working through shared adversity is great way to build a team.

Basketball Instruction

Dan Pelowski