Basketball Instruction/3seconds

Does a player have to have both feet in the lane or a foot or part of a foot to be in violation?

A player only needs part of one foot in the lane for it to be three seconds.  However he only needs to lift that foot in the air if no other part of him is touching inside the lane, for the 3 seconds count to start over again.  Another way of thinking of it is that for it to be 3 seconds, some part of him has to be in continuous contact with the lane.  And there is an exception to allow the player to finish a move to the basket and shoot if the move started within the 3 seconds and finishes in 4 seconds.  

Sorry my answer was not within 3 seconds. :)

Basketball Instruction

Dan Pelowski

Questions about coaching youth and high school basketball individual skills, team defense and offense. Also questions dealing with teaching drills and team concepts, practice planning, program promotion and organization while helping players enjoy and appreciate the game of basketball.

I coached high school basketball for 30 years, organized and worked with our youth development program, played college and high school ball. I've worked with both girls and boys and age levels from 3rd grade to seniors. I retired from active coaching after my 30th season (in which we won a state championship), but stay involved with the game by scouting and consulting. As a technology coordinator I have developed spreadsheets for statistics and created game programs.

Minnesota State Basketball Coaches Association Life Member.

BA in mathematics with coaching minor from St. Mary's University.

2004 Minnesota Coach of the Year for Class 4A, Section 2AAAA Coach of the Year, and Lake Conference Coach of the Year.