Beagles/15-year-old beagle barking

Hello -

I have a 15-year-old beagle who is slowing down predictably. Doesn't run; can't climb stairs. She is very sweet and has never growled at or bitten a soul, and she has two other dog companions in the house - a pit bull and a Yorkie. All are spayed females; the pit and the Yorkie are both about 2 years old. We take them to the dog park every day. The beagle and the Yorkie share a large indoor pen; they always have water, food, and frequent treats (ok, I am indulgent). This past week the beagle has taken to barking ALL THE TIME when in the pen. She has been fed, watered, given treats, let out into the yard four or five times, given treats, etc. But she continues to yowl/bark. She seems to be in no pain. What gives? She is driving me crazy! Thank you.

Hi thanks for writing to me. At this age things begin to go south quickly unfortunately. Have you noticed any staring into space or acting like maybe she doesnt know where she is for a second? It is not unusual for senior dogs to get some dementia and they sometimes feel confused or alone. They become much more clingy and want to be with you as your smell tells them you are near and everything is ok. She may be scared and having some separation anxiety. Dogs are weird in that they can be in pain, whether physical or psychic and they will do whatever they can not to show it as instinct tells them showing weakness might get them hurt. If she hasnt been seen by the vet just to make absolutely sure there is no medical issues she should be. I have had two beagles who lived to 15 as well and they were great fakers, only figured out stuff was wrong when vet found it. In the meantime try keeping her close by if you can which is reasurring to her and make sure there is no medical issues unseen going on.

I am happy to answer BEAGLE BREED SPECIFIC behavioral questions. Please DO NOT ask MEDICAL questions! I am not a vet .

I currently have one adorable beagle, a male age 6.5, a sweet and loving 3 year old female Pit Bull, a cute fluff ball 10 year old male min. poodle and my newest addition a 6 month old male pit who already 50# and is going to probably be twice that when done growing. I have unfortunately lost in the last years 2 beagles and 1 whippet/rat terrier mix. The two beagles lived to 15 and the whippet mix to 13.5, it was so hard to say goodbye to them. I have done rescue work on and off for many, many years as well as fund-raising for the local animal shelter. I worked for a dog magazine in the past (Southern California Dog Magazine). Being a psychotherapist has encouraged me to do in depth studying of animal behavior as well. I have worked with many people to help curb undesirable behaviors in their dogs (or them!) or to form good behaviors. My life is devoted to and surrounded by my dogs........The picture you see here is Zeppelin but we also call him the "miracle dog". He was hit by a car April 2010 while out with the dog walker and had very serious injuries... 4 surgeries and $17,000 later my boy is whole again and back to loving life. He is so special to me and he weathered a lot of pain and trauma yet is still the sweet boy he always was! I also work to stop Breed Specific Legislation and help to get pit bulls adopted.

HSUS, PETA, SPCA DONT SHOP...ADOPT!! Ban the deed, not the Breed!!

Dog Fancy

I am a Marriage and Family Therapist licensed in the state of CA and am also credentialed as a Certified Addiction Treatment Specialist

Honored by the Agoura Animal Shelter for my volunteer work.