Beagles/Ramius...our 5 month old beagle pup

You opened up my mind to a couple of new ways to help train Ramius, but wanted to let you know. I am finding "treating" him after successful trips outside hasnt been working. Still pissing on the blankets and carpet even though giving him treats. We are currently, treating him on good trips. we have been being firm when he has an accident inside. praising him when he does well inside. We have been limiting his water intake and have been taking him, to avoid accidents, every 2 hrs or so. Never has number 2 accidents, so how can you help me help him learn. Thanks for your time

Mr Jody Anderson

Hi thanks for writing to me. So first off Ramius is 5 months so that means he can theoretically hold his bladder at most about 6 hrs but still that is a lot to ask of some pups, so I would say 4 to be safe. In your note you said "I am finding "treating" him after successful trips outside hasnt been working." I am wondering from what it sounds like if you are giving him the treats AFTER he comes inside the house(too long) or the instant he is peeing outside and almost done/or right as he he stops squatting (right onthe mark). Dogs have little attention span and to make sure he associates treats with what he just did it has to be right when he is doing it. In addition if he is still peeing on carpet and blankets then somehow he isnt being watched for "bathroom behavior".... if you zoom in on him and become very vigilant you will learn what he does just prior to going and you have to intervene and grab him when you see that and take him outside to avoid it and then praise him. I havehad people tellme they getimpatient after standing outside for a couple minutes too and that doesnt help, some dogs take a long time to pee, not being neutered yet he will still want to mark and you just have to wait for it. Not sure what "being firm when he has an accident inside" means. If you are not there the second it is happening to whisk him away it is no different than the treat for doing it well, telling him afterwards goes in one ear and out the other. There is no association with what he just did only knowing you are not pleased or fear if it is punitive. Lastly, some dogs take longer than others, it just is what it is. I truly believe if you keep up following my info it will be successful but if there are any kinks it will mess it up. Also if he is still unreliable then keep him on a leash and tied to you while in house until he gets it. Remember that every pee inside reinforces peeing inside and you have to overcome that plus if he can smell it in any way he thinks hmmm, this is an ok place to go. I know this is a pain in the butt but it will pay off at some point. Every dog is different I have seen ones that took forever to get it and ones that never had a single accident in the house.  

I am happy to answer BEAGLE BREED SPECIFIC behavioral questions. Please DO NOT ask MEDICAL questions! I am not a vet .

I currently have one adorable beagle, a male age 6.5, a sweet and loving 3 year old female Pit Bull, a cute fluff ball 10 year old male min. poodle and my newest addition a 6 month old male pit who already 50# and is going to probably be twice that when done growing. I have unfortunately lost in the last years 2 beagles and 1 whippet/rat terrier mix. The two beagles lived to 15 and the whippet mix to 13.5, it was so hard to say goodbye to them. I have done rescue work on and off for many, many years as well as fund-raising for the local animal shelter. I worked for a dog magazine in the past (Southern California Dog Magazine). Being a psychotherapist has encouraged me to do in depth studying of animal behavior as well. I have worked with many people to help curb undesirable behaviors in their dogs (or them!) or to form good behaviors. My life is devoted to and surrounded by my dogs........The picture you see here is Zeppelin but we also call him the "miracle dog". He was hit by a car April 2010 while out with the dog walker and had very serious injuries... 4 surgeries and $17,000 later my boy is whole again and back to loving life. He is so special to me and he weathered a lot of pain and trauma yet is still the sweet boy he always was! I also work to stop Breed Specific Legislation and help to get pit bulls adopted.

HSUS, PETA, SPCA DONT SHOP...ADOPT!! Ban the deed, not the Breed!!

Dog Fancy

I am a Marriage and Family Therapist licensed in the state of CA and am also credentialed as a Certified Addiction Treatment Specialist

Honored by the Agoura Animal Shelter for my volunteer work.