Beagles/Aggressive behavior

My beagle displays very aggressive behavior , usually on the bed when we try to move him he gets territorial , growls, draws back his , shows his fangs, and goes for the bite. He has bitten my 2 boys , drawing blood at one stage. I have been trying to train him, exercise him ( he is 1 year) but for some reason still reverts to his old way... Would you have any advise?  Thx

HI, this is a very serious situation if he has already bitten your two boys and especially if it broke the skin. You need to get a trainer to come to your home IMMEDIATELY to help with this situation before something worse happens. He has been allowed to claim the bed as his and this is not ok, however it is your human error not his. Punitive discipline, such as being aggressive towards him will only worsen the situation. You need to not allow him on the bed at all anymore and as I said get a local trainer right away. This is not something I can fix in an email.

I wish you the best, this is not going to go away with appropriate intervention and it is not fair to the dog to be in a situation where he may lose his home because his humans have allowed this behavior.  

I am happy to answer BEAGLE BREED SPECIFIC behavioral questions. Please DO NOT ask MEDICAL questions! I am not a vet .

I currently have one adorable beagle, a male age 6.5, a sweet and loving 3 year old female Pit Bull, a cute fluff ball 10 year old male min. poodle and my newest addition a 6 month old male pit who already 50# and is going to probably be twice that when done growing. I have unfortunately lost in the last years 2 beagles and 1 whippet/rat terrier mix. The two beagles lived to 15 and the whippet mix to 13.5, it was so hard to say goodbye to them. I have done rescue work on and off for many, many years as well as fund-raising for the local animal shelter. I worked for a dog magazine in the past (Southern California Dog Magazine). Being a psychotherapist has encouraged me to do in depth studying of animal behavior as well. I have worked with many people to help curb undesirable behaviors in their dogs (or them!) or to form good behaviors. My life is devoted to and surrounded by my dogs........The picture you see here is Zeppelin but we also call him the "miracle dog". He was hit by a car April 2010 while out with the dog walker and had very serious injuries... 4 surgeries and $17,000 later my boy is whole again and back to loving life. He is so special to me and he weathered a lot of pain and trauma yet is still the sweet boy he always was! I also work to stop Breed Specific Legislation and help to get pit bulls adopted.

HSUS, PETA, SPCA DONT SHOP...ADOPT!! Ban the deed, not the Breed!!

Dog Fancy

I am a Marriage and Family Therapist licensed in the state of CA and am also credentialed as a Certified Addiction Treatment Specialist

Honored by the Agoura Animal Shelter for my volunteer work.