Beagles/Curious about my rescued beagle!

Reid Beagle Puppy
Reid Beagle Puppy  
Hi! Your housebreaking post is SO helpful for my husband and I in working with our three month old beagle mix puppy!  

We got her from a shelter in New York at 8 weeks old; she was born in the shelter on New Year's Eve, I believe they had said they picked the mother up as a pregnant stray so all three of her puppies were born in the shelter.  

I have included a photo of her sister (dark), her mother as well as several photos of our pooch. I've been doing some research on her coloring and have come to the conclusion that she is a "hare pied" beagle, especially in the last few weeks the butterfly nose has developed.  

I'm just curious to hear your thoughts, if any, on what you think she may be mixed with! Her temperament is extremely energetic and playful, loves to dig, chase leaves, climb and CHEW! Whenever she jumps, whether down a small step or off of the back deck, she takes a huge flying leap! She seems to love giving herself obstacle courses, weaving in and out of table and chair legs, crawling under dressers and squeezing between the wall and furniture.

I'm eager to hear your thoughts! Whatever the case may be, she is already an important member of our family and we love her to death!

Hi, she is ABSOLUTELY adorable, lucky you!

In all honesty I didnt even know there was such a thing as a hare pied beagle so just did a bunch of research on it myself. Obviously in order to get the coloring there is some playing around with breeding, unknown if they go outside the beagle breed to make the alterations or not. Regardless, my best idea would be to have a DNA test done on her. I have done it on mine, it's a hoot and also gives you a really specific idea three generations back of what is in your dog. It is not that expensive and not at all painful for her, you just swab inside her cheeks with a q-tip thing they supply. Here is the link to the one I think is the best....

Good luck and tell me what they find!

I am happy to answer BEAGLE BREED SPECIFIC behavioral questions. Please DO NOT ask MEDICAL questions! I am not a vet .

I currently have one adorable beagle, a male age 6.5, a sweet and loving 3 year old female Pit Bull, a cute fluff ball 10 year old male min. poodle and my newest addition a 6 month old male pit who already 50# and is going to probably be twice that when done growing. I have unfortunately lost in the last years 2 beagles and 1 whippet/rat terrier mix. The two beagles lived to 15 and the whippet mix to 13.5, it was so hard to say goodbye to them. I have done rescue work on and off for many, many years as well as fund-raising for the local animal shelter. I worked for a dog magazine in the past (Southern California Dog Magazine). Being a psychotherapist has encouraged me to do in depth studying of animal behavior as well. I have worked with many people to help curb undesirable behaviors in their dogs (or them!) or to form good behaviors. My life is devoted to and surrounded by my dogs........The picture you see here is Zeppelin but we also call him the "miracle dog". He was hit by a car April 2010 while out with the dog walker and had very serious injuries... 4 surgeries and $17,000 later my boy is whole again and back to loving life. He is so special to me and he weathered a lot of pain and trauma yet is still the sweet boy he always was! I also work to stop Breed Specific Legislation and help to get pit bulls adopted.

HSUS, PETA, SPCA DONT SHOP...ADOPT!! Ban the deed, not the Breed!!

Dog Fancy

I am a Marriage and Family Therapist licensed in the state of CA and am also credentialed as a Certified Addiction Treatment Specialist

Honored by the Agoura Animal Shelter for my volunteer work.