Beagles/How would a female beagle and a female Labrador get along?

Question
Hello,
We have a 1 year old female beagle. She is friendly and loving with everyone (humans, other animals), and never showed any signs of aggression whatsoever. We're considering an idea of getting a second dog, a labrador puppy. I know that it's best to have opposite sex dogs but we really want another female. So I was wondering if, based on your experience, there are risks for this particular combination: an older female beagle and a young female labrador. Thanks a lot!

Answer
Hi there, thanks for writing to me. So in answer in your question about if there are risks with a female to female combination... the answer is yes but there are risks in all the combinations. I was taught that the best combo is male/female, then male /male then lastly female/female. HOWEVER, nothing is absolute. Two females get along well in many households despite what we are taught. Personally I have never had more than one female at a time so as not to push the issue but have had several males as well as a female and it has always worked for me. I can also tell you I had a male female combo once that was not violent per se but they had their moments throughout their lives, like a love/hate thing.

So...... what is the answer, well the best you can do is try them together AWAY FROM YOUR HOME. Although your female beagle has never shown any aggression she is still young and hasn't had to share her home with anyone yet so that may be an advantage but I always suggest meet and greets away from the home turf and if possible let them play a bit together a couple times. You are less likely to set up a scenario of resistance from your beagle that way. Then if it all looks to go well bring them into the house together from an outside place. In other words don't have the beagle at home and then walk in the new one, it then feels like it is invading her space. Entering together from an outside shared experience feels more equal.

Hope this helps! Good luck  :)

Beagles

Have4Paws