Beagles/Beagle / Pointer cross

Hi! I'm not sure if you are able to help as i have noted that you are experience in dealing with the Beagle breed. However, I'll give it a go!

I have a beagle and pointer cross, about a year and a half old who is absolutely terrified of the sunlight. Taking him for a walk during a sunny day is awful, he pulls back on his lead (he has a control harness which pulls on his face very badly when he doe this) and refuses to walk. So i end up pulling him down the road. More dangerously, he will freak out when crossing a road and try to run away from the sun, thus leaving us in a tangle with oncoming cars approaching!

He was fine as a a puppy but didn't actually go outside for a while after we got him as he caught kennel cough before his second vaccination. He seems to be doing this solely in the sunshine (he is fine in the evenings)and is ok when we get to the dog park though still tries to avoid the sun.

he is also sneezing a lot and have loads of backwards sneezing episodes so i thought he may have hayfever. He had not had an backwards sneezing episodes since he was a puppy ....

He is very energectic and loves to be outside, once we get there. He socializes very well and has a lovely temperment. He plays happily and is not off his food or sick. He seems very much ok .... except for going outside in the sunshine!

Do you have any advice? Even when i have his favorite treats in my hand he still will not come back to me when out in the sunshine ....

I look forward to hearing from you

Thanks very much

Hi Gemma, thanks for contacting me, I have to say this one is a first, have never heard of something like this. I am feeling like it is maybe not being afraid of the sunshine per say but something else. I think it would be good to have a trainer come to your house and observe the dog acting in this manner, they are obviously educated and trained to see what we sometimes cannot see.  

I am happy to answer BEAGLE BREED SPECIFIC behavioral questions. Please DO NOT ask MEDICAL questions! I am not a vet .

I currently have one adorable beagle, a male age 6.5, a sweet and loving 3 year old female Pit Bull, a cute fluff ball 10 year old male min. poodle and my newest addition a 6 month old male pit who already 50# and is going to probably be twice that when done growing. I have unfortunately lost in the last years 2 beagles and 1 whippet/rat terrier mix. The two beagles lived to 15 and the whippet mix to 13.5, it was so hard to say goodbye to them. I have done rescue work on and off for many, many years as well as fund-raising for the local animal shelter. I worked for a dog magazine in the past (Southern California Dog Magazine). Being a psychotherapist has encouraged me to do in depth studying of animal behavior as well. I have worked with many people to help curb undesirable behaviors in their dogs (or them!) or to form good behaviors. My life is devoted to and surrounded by my dogs........The picture you see here is Zeppelin but we also call him the "miracle dog". He was hit by a car April 2010 while out with the dog walker and had very serious injuries... 4 surgeries and $17,000 later my boy is whole again and back to loving life. He is so special to me and he weathered a lot of pain and trauma yet is still the sweet boy he always was! I also work to stop Breed Specific Legislation and help to get pit bulls adopted.

HSUS, PETA, SPCA DONT SHOP...ADOPT!! Ban the deed, not the Breed!!

Dog Fancy

I am a Marriage and Family Therapist licensed in the state of CA and am also credentialed as a Certified Addiction Treatment Specialist

Honored by the Agoura Animal Shelter for my volunteer work.