Bearded Dragons/Lighting, feeding & hours per day

I am new to bearded dragons and have some questions regarding my work shift pattern and owning a bearded dragon.
Firstly, I work 12 hour shifts only. These alter between 7am-7pm days, and 7pm-7am nights. Due to the strict lighting standards bearded dragons need, will I even be able to own one? I wanted to set up lighting that last for 12-14 hours a day so I have time to feed them either before or afer work. (Also FYI I work 2 days on 2 days off so am never on a run of shifts for more than 3 days ever).

Secondly, if all is ok to be able to do that, if I buy a younger bearded dragon will they adapt to my way or taking care of them? I dont want to be unfair and make them suffer if they cannot deal with this much heating/lighting per day.

I would apprecaite any answers and advice as I am very eager and passionate.

Connor, ESSEX, UK

Hello, I cannot sort out if you work too much to have a bearded dragon or not. If you cant devote the proper time to your bearded dragon then it may not be appropriate to own one. If you're gone so much because of work then it wont be fair for them to adjust to your work schedule. I know you may have wanted me to tell you that it will be ok for whatever reason but I try to be as honest as I can. If your gone for 12 hours in a day what if something were to happen while you were gone? They do require attention and time. I cant make the choice for you for that is your responsibility. They are hardy creatures though and 12 or 14 hours of straight lighting is usually normal for them because usually they are getting around 12-14. If you can give them enough attention and supply them with the right amount of food for when you are gone then I would say go for it!

Bearded Dragons

I can answer every question towards the bearded dragon except for questions that deal with sickness and disease. I can answer questions on heating and UV rays, the questions pertaining to food, habitat, bedding, breeding, egg/hatchling care, nature, and attitude are my best. Last, I cannot help you with at home sickness meds, always find a vet within your area. I can answer questions regarding body language and movement. I will try to help you to the best of my ability.

I have owned bearded dragons for over seven years and have been a breeder for two years. Caring and raising bearded dragons has been a great experience in my life and will continue to play a big role throughout my life.

Currently studying Biology with an Ecology Emphasis at Northern Michigan University.