Beatles, The/John Lennon Lithograph

Gary Arseneau wrote at 2010-07-14 19:20:22
July 14, 2010

Under U.S. Customs Informed Compliance May 2006, a -lithograph- "must be wholly executed by hand by the artist [and] excluding any mechanical and photomechanical processes."

In other words, an original work of visual art such as a lithographs versus a reproductions which is a copy of an original done by someone other than the artist are not interchangeable, much less the same.

John Lennon only created one lithograph edition, titled -frontispiece- in his lifetime. The other so-called lithographs, in the Bag One collection, were photomechanically reproduced by Curren Studios in the UK.

In 1986, Yoko Ono decided to cashin on her dead husband by hiring chromists to reproduce John Lennon's black-and-white drawings. Those monochromatic reproductions were misrepresented for sale as original works of visual art such as lithographs, serigraphs, etchings and woodcuts. Subsequently, Yoko Ono found out those reproductions, even when misrepresented as original printmaking wouldn't sell as quickly or for as much as offered, she had them colorized. Then in 1998, some 18 years after John Lennon's death in 1980, Yoko Ono lost all inhibitions and hired a chromist to forge work in new compositions with color and passed those forgeries off as "John Lennon drawings" a.k.a. serigraphs for his son Sean.

The only problem is many of those drawings were first reproduced in 1964 some two years before he met Yoko and 12 years before his son Sean was born in 1976.

The dead don't create anything.

To learn more, Google Gary Arseneau and John Lennon to read his monographs on this -fraud-.

Gary Arseneau

artist, creator of original lithographs %26 scholar

Fernandina Beach, Florida

ngoya wrote at 2011-07-11 05:57:15
to add to pj'S John LENNON litho inquiry, I have a very similar print. I know that it was purchased as a gift for me prior to John's death. After much research,yours is the only other one I have seen. The difference in mine is that the scene has more figures in it. Otherwise it's the same with the four autographs, holly berries, etc. I would love to see more info on its origin,value, any more out there?    Ngoya/ Ca.

lori osborn wrote at 2014-10-14 17:55:54
Patti my name is Lori  I to have one of these lithographs with the same signatures on it there is another lithograph from the Xmas book the only 2 done it to has the same signatures on it is it possible John signed for himself and for George Harrison because he was a Beatles  it just seams kinda crazy that the 3 or 4 of these I've seen at different places in the world all have same signatures would be forgery that kinda far fetched isn't it  

Lori osborn wrote at 2015-04-25 18:25:03
Pattie I also have one these are there only 2 I've ever seen.that are signed by all four Beatles to my understanding they were only done for producer management for Christmas that year that's why there so few of them authenticating is the difficult part because nobody knows about them except for producer managers those that they were given to.that makes this piece rare as well as it was done within days before John past.the only person that I think would be able to really authenticate

is Paul McCartney because of it being a rare piece and not out there for the public.  

Lori osborn wrote at 2015-04-25 18:25:17

bryen wrote at 2016-05-07 18:04:27
Pattie

I also have the same exact print. Mine is a lithograph and the signatures are part of the lithograph. If you take a 10x power loupe and examine it you will see the colors are laid onto the parchment not added. Good Luck!

Beatles, The

Pattie

Along with my partner, I've taught classes on the Beatles to both adults and teens in libraries and schools. I'm also the "resident expert" for the Beatles and John Lennon on Songfacts.com. I moderate 2 Beatle groups on MySpace, one a general Beatles site and the other geared toward Beatle collectors. I'm also a co-administrator for one of the largest, most popular Beatle forums on the web, thebeatlesforum.net

I'm half of an acoustic, female Beatles tribute duo called "Luv Me Deux" as a guitarist and vocalist. Check us out at www.luvmedeux.com

www.fixingahole.org

While I have no degree in "Beatleology", I probably could write a course on it!