Beatles, The/Meet The Beatles album "value" or rarity

David wrote at 2012-05-03 21:08:38
I've seen this album on a recent "baggage wars" show on tv.. the buyer had it appraised at $2200-2500...

I looked into my old lp's and found a "Meet the Beatles" album, after research on "",  I am VERY confident that I have a First Variation  (little number "3" in the bottom right, royal blue sleeve inside.

IU've read numerous web-sites that claim this is a VERY rare album with on 20-25 known to be in "playable" condition.  Is this true?

(thank for keeping this in great shape mom)..

Is the $200-2500 appraisal accurate for 2012?

thanks in advance for the response.

Mark wrote at 2012-06-02 00:56:11
No, this is NOT true!!  This is the problem with these 'experts' appraising collectibles on reality shows.  The original 1964 pressing of 'Meet The Beatles' is fairly common LP; you have to remember that every teenager in this country ran out an bought a copy of this 1st USA Capitol LP right after (and in some cases before) they appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show on Feb 9th, 1964..  The real tough part is to find an original 1st pressing that's in excellent condition.  Most all of these original press LP's were played TO DEATH!  The royal blue inner sleeve would be the 1st inner sleeve that came with the 1st 1964 pressing; the little #3 indicates the Capitol Records factory that the LP was made at (Scranton, PA in this case). A MINT condition, 1st pressing stereo copy of this LP (with no 'BMI' or 'ASCAP' credits) would be worth around $1500.00.  A MONO copy of this same variation would be worth arounf half that.  'Normal' 2nd press versions of this 1964 LP (WITH 'BMI' and ASCAP' credits) are worth in the $200 range for the MONO and $400 for the STEREO, and this is ONLY if they are in Mint- condition; as the condition worsens, the value drops fast.  The ONLY way this Stereo copy of 'Meet The Beatles' featured on 'Baggage Wars' would be worth $2200+ dollars would be IF it was a STILL SEALED 1st pressing, and even this price would be a stretch.  And of course, it would have to be verfied that it was an ORIGINAL seal and not a re-seal, which unfortunately are common.  It's unfortunate that the LP appraiser didn't give any details as to how he arrived at his price value, as this gives the public a very unrealistic view as to how much their copy of 'Meet The Beatles' might be worth.  And again, you're talking about an LP that sold in the MILLIONS the 1st several years after being issued (1964 - 1965), and it went through many different Capitol Records label changes through the years it was in print on vinyl (1964 thru 1990). Now, every person who saw this show and owns a copy of this LP thinks they own GOLD!  The truth is, probably 98% of the still existing original pressings of this LP are more than likely in terrible condition and aren't worth anything at all.  In the world of collectibles, 'condition is EVERYTHING' and that applies in the world of Beatle LP's as well!

Elizabeth wrote at 2012-07-26 05:03:12
I also have the same record however on the print of the cardboard sleeve it has a gold circle that says GOLD RECORD AWARD and inside that it says AUDITED AND CERTIFIED BY RIAA...

On the back of the cardboard sleeve in the bottom right hand corner it has a black circle that has RIAA inside and right above that it says MEMBER. Underneath where it lists the songs it also says who sings what songs and where they started, the instruments they play etc.

The paper sleeve is white and completely blank, the record itself is black with a maroon label that has all the songs.

If you could help it would be greatly appreciated, I am not looking to sell it at this point I would just like to know what I have in my home... Whether it should go in the safe or on the shelf.

vinylguy wrote at 2013-04-09 23:48:26
That record can vary greatly in price. I found useful information about pricing records on this website:

That Beatles record is used as an example too.  

Matt Steger wrote at 2015-06-05 19:15:35
Elizabeth: the purple Capitol label indicates it is a 1970s repressing.  Obviously, if the album has a 'gold' RIAA notation on the cover, you know it's not original because the album would have to see 500k copies before it can achieve that 'award'.

Beatles, The

I'm already an expert for Paul McCartney category. I can answer anything relates to the Beatles, above all their personal life, chronological facts, discography, lyrics, gossip!

I'm already an expert for Paul McCartney, I play music, I have a degree in musicology and the Beatles are my passion. I read a lot of books over the past years.

degree in musicology