Beauty And Cosmetic Procedures/I need some serious help...

Question

I'm going to be rather up front about the fact that I know little to nothing about style and makeup. Everything I know about makeup I learned from my father (and I'm pretty sure he didn't know what he was talking about haha). I'm also in the military, so right now my hair is really short.
I'm going to be spending some time with my fiancee this Christmas, we don't get to see each other a lot and although he has never said that I don't look pretty to him, I'm pretty sure I look like a 10 year old boy. I have very fair skin, strawberry blond hair, and blue eyes but every time I try to wear makeup I feel like something from a horror film haha...
If you have any makeup or style tips you could help me out with, I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks for taking the time to read my question.

Answer
Hi they're Skye, thank you so much for writing to me.

Strawberry blond hair and blue eyes is such a beautiful combination and your fair skin is something many women would give anything for so please don't think that you don't look gorgeous. I'm sure you do.

Make-up is a very personal thing but, based on what you've written here, I'd suggest you try subtle colours, as you may feel most comfortable with something that enhances your natural beauty without looking like you've plastered it on with garden tools.

I'd suggest eye shadows in colours such as soft grey/silver, terracotta browns, golds and ivory.  For your face I'd suggest blusher in softer peachy pink rather than rose pink and a tinted lip gloss rather than a fixed colour lipstick.

The one thing I think is a really quick win for you though is mascara.  If you can, please look around for a lash lengthening mascara because longer lashes really bring out femininity.  It is possible to have lash extensions.  Either the ones that are glued on by a beautician individually, lash by lash or the block ones you can buy in the stores and glue on all in one go.  I find the latter a bit hit and miss as far as putting them on myself though and they aren't terribly comfortable to wear.  

I'd also suggest a softer dark grey/brown eyeliner and a lip liner that is just a shade or 2 darker than your natural lip colour. These go around the very edge of the eye and lips to emphasise them but are, again, quite soft.

You could possibly try some pail pink nail polish if you think that will also help to make you feel girlier.

Short hair can look just as great as long hair so please don't worry that your hair is shorter. Short and neat hair looks so much better than long straggly hair that hasn't been looked after.

You could try looking in some magazines at how other people are wearing make-up and see what you feel drawn too. I'm always picking up new things from others - some of them work on me, some of them don't but it's the greatest fun to pick up tips and see how the trends are changing all the time.

I hope that helps but more than anything I'd like to say thanks to you for the work that you do and that I will be thinking of you and hoping that you are always safe in your work, wherever that takes you.

Have a fantastic Christmas with your boy friend and all the best for 2013 and beyond.

Take care, Claire x  

Beauty And Cosmetic Procedures

Claire