Beekeeping/Bees dying in yard

We have loads of falling oak pollen carpeting our concrete yard and grass. Since this has started, we find everyday between 2-5 dead or dying bumblebees (furry black and yellow) on the ground among the pollen, and sometimes some other bees as well. Are these two things related, and is there anything I can do about this epidemic? thanks

I believe the abundance of oak pollen and the dead bumblebees is a coincidence. There is no scientific evidence that oak pollen is toxic to these bees. However, are you or nearby neighbors treating any a garden, lawn, plants, etc with any products?

Diseases that affect honeybees have not been shown to affect bumblebees, however some of the same triggers that kill off honeybees can do the same for bumble bees.

Shaun Billings

I have the knowledge & experience to provide a thorough answer to questions on honeybees & Africanized 'killer' bees. I can cover facts about their behavior, anatomy, impact on our environment, and techniques & methods to removing swarms/hives from structures. Although I am not fully knowledgeable with beekeeping practices, the company I work for relocates the hives we collect to the owner of a local orange grove that needs the bees for pollination. We provide bee relocation services in San Diego, Riverside, Orange County and south San Bernardino.

My experience include 15 years of studying honeybee characteristics & removing bees from structures throughout southern California. The company I work for, Pro Pacific Bee Removal, was founded in 1999. I have contributed to many bee forums, local & international publications, & beekeeping societies. I would be glad to assist you on All Experts with any of your questions!

Better Business Bureau (BBB) Pest Control Operators of California (PCOC) Independent Pest Control Association (IPCA) San Diego County Apartment Association (SDCAA)

Pro Pacific Bee Removal has been featured in publications of San Diego County Apartment Association & Food & Drink Magazine.

We are currently licensed by the California Structural Pest Control Board (SPCB) for our bee removal services.