Beer/non-debittered brewer's yeast

Where in the Memphis, TN area may I obtain NON-DEBITTERED brewer's yeast?  The non-debittered is superior to the brewer's yeast powder and tablets easily obtained in the stores.  I used the NON-DEBITTERED yeast as a nutritional supplement last year and was very pleased. Then my source (a brew pub) reneged in giving me more.  I do not seem to be able to, frankly, get any sense from the local brewery here as I see that the answerer from this local brewery is the same brewmaster who reneged.  I would be glad to receive/buy non-debittered tablets.  Thank you

Hello Joan,

Honestly, in all my years working with craft beer, this is the first I've ever heard of "non-debittered brewer's yeast".

Typically, brewers use the species of yeast, called Saccharomyces cerevisiae. It's the broad family of yeasts, intended specifically for fermenting beer. Occasionally, they use wild yeasts, like Brettanomyces. But again, these are not intended for straight human consumption

It sounds as though the yeast to which you're referring is a nutritional supplement, similar to this one:

So really, the best source for inquiring about this would be either your doctor, or a nutritionist.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance!

Best regards and good luck,

Matt Simpson

I can answer all questions about beer, the brewing process, ingredients, history, styles, glassware & serving temperatures, beer & food pairing, cellaring, the craft beer industry and much more. The only area in which I'm wholly unfamiliar (but still able to find out through direct, personal inquiry) is the purchasing of large-brewery equipment.

I've been involved with craft beer, in one regard or another, for almost 2 decades. I've taught craft beer courses at Emory University, I'm a BJCP Certified Judge, an Administrator for (arguably, the largest beer website/database in the world, with over 100,000 members) and have been interviewed by ABC News, CNN, NPR, the Washington Post, FOX Business’s Cavuto Show,, the Associated Press, the Houston Chronicle and many others. I'm an award-winning homebrewer, with multiple ribbons won (including the AHA’s National Homebrew Competition), and owner of one of the largest, most robust and comprehensive beer cellars in the world. I write the “Ask Beer” column for Beer magazine, “Beer Talk...From the Wings,” for Hooters Magazine, the quarterly beer column for In The Mix magazine, a beverage-oriented publication that reaches such hospitality industry establishments as The Four Seasons and Four Points Sheraton, and “Ask the Beer Sommelier,” for Atlanta’s Finest Dining magazine as well. I've been hosting craft beer tastings since the 90’s, and am truly privileged to call some of the most accomplished brewers and beer aficionados in the world, friends.

BJCP, (as an Administrator), GA Craft Brewers Guild, Final Gravity Craft Brewers.

BEER Magazine, Hooters Magazine, In The Mix Magazine, Atlanta's Finest Dining magazine,

I'm BJCP Certified, taught "From Grain to Glass, a Comprehensive Study of Beer," at Emory University and a Rutgers University graduate.

Multiple blue ribbons for homebrewing, including a second-place in the National Homebrew Competition.