I've been a Schlitz-lover since back when we "Went for the gusto". Usta tour the huge Milwaukee brewery as a student at Marquette back in the 50s. I get it now at my local small retailer here in rural Georgia! Price is right / taste is great. I'm just curious as to how / where it's being made now. The cans have a Milwaukee P.O. Box - I've written them but get no response.

Thanks,      JWH

Hi John,

Well, Schlitz has been owned by Pabst since 1999 and is now "contract brewed" by Miller Brewing Company (MillerCoors). But if you think that's confusing, get this; Pabst (the owner/producer), while once located in Woodridge, IL, is now located in Los Angeles. But the MillerCoors brewery (the actual brewer of the product) is located in Milwaukee WI.

Whew!But such is the new state of the brewing industry - lots of brewers in the brewhouse, to co-opt a term.

That said, I can speak from both personal experience and by searching the reviewing databases, the Schlitz made today, is a far superior product than that made for the previous few decades. With the change in ownership, they brought back the old recipe of the 60s and before.

Gone is the thin, watery, flavorless, over-carbonated Schlitz of the 70s-80s and welcome is the fuller, richer, more flavorful pale lager of yore. It's what most pale lagers of the 70s-90s should have been, all along.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Matt Simpson

I can answer all questions about beer, the brewing process, ingredients, history, styles, glassware & serving temperatures, beer & food pairing, cellaring, the craft beer industry and much more. The only area in which I'm wholly unfamiliar (but still able to find out through direct, personal inquiry) is the purchasing of large-brewery equipment.

I've been involved with craft beer, in one regard or another, for almost 2 decades. I've taught craft beer courses at Emory University, I'm a BJCP Certified Judge, an Administrator for (arguably, the largest beer website/database in the world, with over 100,000 members) and have been interviewed by ABC News, CNN, NPR, the Washington Post, FOX Business’s Cavuto Show,, the Associated Press, the Houston Chronicle and many others. I'm an award-winning homebrewer, with multiple ribbons won (including the AHA’s National Homebrew Competition), and owner of one of the largest, most robust and comprehensive beer cellars in the world. I write the “Ask Beer” column for Beer magazine, “Beer Talk...From the Wings,” for Hooters Magazine, the quarterly beer column for In The Mix magazine, a beverage-oriented publication that reaches such hospitality industry establishments as The Four Seasons and Four Points Sheraton, and “Ask the Beer Sommelier,” for Atlanta’s Finest Dining magazine as well. I've been hosting craft beer tastings since the 90’s, and am truly privileged to call some of the most accomplished brewers and beer aficionados in the world, friends.

BJCP, (as an Administrator), GA Craft Brewers Guild, Final Gravity Craft Brewers.

BEER Magazine, Hooters Magazine, In The Mix Magazine, Atlanta's Finest Dining magazine,

I'm BJCP Certified, taught "From Grain to Glass, a Comprehensive Study of Beer," at Emory University and a Rutgers University graduate.

Multiple blue ribbons for homebrewing, including a second-place in the National Homebrew Competition.