Beer/bevador beer cooler

I have a 9 ft tall x 2.5 ft round cooler made by bevador around 1938. It has a top shaped like a steinie bottle with a cap.  It has round revolving shelves and a light inside. I would like to sell it but I don't know the value nor the terminology. I have had it for 18 years. The compressor went bad about 4 years ago. The repairs would cost about $500. I decide not to have it repaired.Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Paul,

I'm familiar with those old Bevadors...very cool and retro.

That said, I don't really think they have as much value as "beer collectibles," as they do antiques. As a collector of all things, my advice would be to market it as an antique.

My research shows that the value of these, from non-working to mint condition, can rage from less than $50, all the way up to $30,000...a broad range for sure. The average seemed to be about $5000, and that was several years ago.

But the only way you're really going to know for sure, is to try to sell it...Craigslist and eBay are obviously good marketplace indicators for these types of items. At least scan them to see if others have sold recently.

Since you're not willing to fully restore it, you'll likely have to settle for the lower end of the going market, but since they're relatively rare, I'm sure you'll do just fine, monetarily.

Either way, good luck and please report back on your experience and success!

Best Regards,

Matt Simpson

I can answer all questions about beer, the brewing process, ingredients, history, styles, glassware & serving temperatures, beer & food pairing, cellaring, the craft beer industry and much more. The only area in which I'm wholly unfamiliar (but still able to find out through direct, personal inquiry) is the purchasing of large-brewery equipment.

I've been involved with craft beer, in one regard or another, for almost 2 decades. I've taught craft beer courses at Emory University, I'm a BJCP Certified Judge, an Administrator for (arguably, the largest beer website/database in the world, with over 100,000 members) and have been interviewed by ABC News, CNN, NPR, the Washington Post, FOX Business’s Cavuto Show,, the Associated Press, the Houston Chronicle and many others. I'm an award-winning homebrewer, with multiple ribbons won (including the AHA’s National Homebrew Competition), and owner of one of the largest, most robust and comprehensive beer cellars in the world. I write the “Ask Beer” column for Beer magazine, “Beer Talk...From the Wings,” for Hooters Magazine, the quarterly beer column for In The Mix magazine, a beverage-oriented publication that reaches such hospitality industry establishments as The Four Seasons and Four Points Sheraton, and “Ask the Beer Sommelier,” for Atlanta’s Finest Dining magazine as well. I've been hosting craft beer tastings since the 90’s, and am truly privileged to call some of the most accomplished brewers and beer aficionados in the world, friends.

BJCP, (as an Administrator), GA Craft Brewers Guild, Final Gravity Craft Brewers.

BEER Magazine, Hooters Magazine, In The Mix Magazine, Atlanta's Finest Dining magazine,

I'm BJCP Certified, taught "From Grain to Glass, a Comprehensive Study of Beer," at Emory University and a Rutgers University graduate.

Multiple blue ribbons for homebrewing, including a second-place in the National Homebrew Competition.