Beginner Investing/Portfolio and CPA

How do I go about getting/starting a portfolio? Are there any CPAs you know of that work with "lower income" clientele? Thanks for any help in this matter.

Thank you for your question!
Unfortunately most financial advisors do have account minimums.  They charge fees according to the funds they manage for you, so very small accounts simply do not provide enough fees for the advisor to cover their costs.  
   However, you can always create and manage your own investment portfolio.  The first step is to find an inexpensive service to set up an account, then send in the funds you have that you want to invest. Two of the services I like are and  Between the two, FOLIOfn has lower cost, and does have preset portfolios you can select to automatically set up a stock portfolio for yourself.
  However, if you are going to manage your own portfolio, I would strongly urge you to read "Investing for Dummies", here is a link to it on

It is also available in most book stores such as Barnes and Noble.  You need to have at least some knowledge on the basics of investing, the different types of investments before you begin. For example, you would be much better served if you set up your account as a ROTH IRA, there are such significant tax advantages over time.  But there are restrictions to that type of account, such as how much you can put into the ROTH IRA each year.  That book will give you this information.

I hope that this helps gets you started.  The important thing about investing is to save a little each month to add to your investments, and along with the returns it will grow over time. The longer time you have, the more it will grow as interest and returns compound over the years.  The first few years will be slow, it will slowly gain steam.  You will often see negative returns, investments do not always make money, sometimes the reduce in value. But you have to keep at it, over time your investments will come back.

For example, invest $200 a year, if you earn an average of 8% in returns per year (thats not difficult to achieve), you would have over $700,000 after 40 years.  Thats the power of interest compounding over time. If only our schools taught this, so everyone had the knowledge to begin investing at an early age!

Another example, with the same numbers above, but add 10 years (50 years total), the amount would be about 1.6 million.  If a young person started this at 20 years old with their first job, they would have 1.6 million when they were 70 for retirement.  Of course the numbers go way up if more can be contributed each month.

Best Regards,

Paul Henneman
ValuEngine Inc

Beginner Investing

Paul Henneman

I can answer any questions on investment strategies. Specifically, my expertise lies in long term investment strategies designed to beat market performance while reducing risk. Not get rich quick schemes, but solid investing strategies. DO NOT SEND ME YOUR HOME WORK QUESTIONS! Over one half of the questions I receive are clearly students in finance or economic classes asking for answers to their homework questions. Most of these come from India. I won't answer them, do your own work. However, I welcome all investors trying to negotiate how to invest in stocks, mutual funds, ETF's, and other investments.

15 years in a leadership role at a financial research company. We sell research to institutions such as Wells Fargo, Fidelity, Thomson Reuters, Bloomberg, Bank of NY, Scotia Bank, and others.

Florida International University, University of Florida

Wells Fargo Advisors, Fidelity, Scotia Bank, Thomson Reuters, Capital IQ, Factset, Bloomberg, Bank of NY, CBSMarketWatch, Hoovers, Multex, Yahoo Finance, Zacks, Earthlink Finance, numerous large institutions and hedge funds, subscribers to