Beginner Investing/First time investing

Thank you in advance for your time. I was wondering, with all the craziness on the internet and the world today it seems nothing is certain but, it is wise for people to still invest otherwise we would not have a market! But, obviously I don't want to lose money but where would you suggest putting money to start? For example, often you hear of Mcdonald's or Apple stock being highly valued etc. where do people buy that? Can anyone buy it? What about penny stocks? How would a person know where to go and how to buy? Let's say for example I was only going to want to spend $100 to start just to see how things work and if I lost it - it would not be the end of the world. Is that do-able? Any suggestions on how or where to begin would be greatly appreciated.

Hi V,

Knowing how and where to place trades is the easy part.  Knowing how to do it well is the difficult part.  Before you invest any money, you should read the Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham.  He is the guy who taught Warren Buffett how to invest.

Michael Weiss, CFA
Series 7 Exam Tutor  

Beginner Investing

Michael Weiss, CFA

I can answer most questions about investing for beginners

I am the owner of Series 7 Exam Tutor , a financial tutoring business that provides personalized tutoring for the Series 7 Exam, the Series 6 Exam ,the Series 65 Exam, the Series 66 Exam, the Series 63 Exam and the Series 24 Exam . I also offer tutoring for finance courses. For additional information, please visit, Finance Exam Tutor. Prior to launching Series 7 Exam Tutor, I worked in investments for 20 years with the majority of this time focused on investment analysis and portfolio management. I have worked for large companies such as Merrill Lynch and Evergreen Investments and have also worked for smaller firms as well. Throughout my career, I have sought to mentor younger colleagues whenever possible, especially those enrolled in the CFA program. I completed the CFA program in 2002 after passing all three exams on the first try. I also passed the Series 7 Exam with a score of 94%. For additional information about me, you can visit the links below:

CFA Institute and CFA Society of Philadelphia

M.B.A. in Finance & Investments from the Zicklin School of Business at Baruch College and a B.A. in Finance & Economics from the City University of New York Baccalaureate Program.