Beginner Investing/Oil Commodities

Hi Paul,

I don't know much about investing.  I have about 100K in VFINX and think I should move 20K or more QUICKLY in an oil commodity and sell in June.  Have no clue how to go about this.  Any information will be appreciated. Thank you so much for your kind time and help.  Have a wonderful day.

Thank you for your question!
     Yes, current price for oil could be a very good investment opportunity, if you are patient. It could be a while before prices go back up.
     It depends where you have your account. If your 100k in VFINX is through a 401k retirement plant, it may be a problem as you are limited to the investments that your specific 401k plan offers.
    If the account is an standard brokerage account, or other type of retirement account like an IRA, then yes, you have much more flexibility.  All you have to do is go into your account, and enter a sell order for the 20k in VFINX.  Then enter a buy order for the new investment.  I would suggest the ETF (Exchange Traded Fund) with the ticker symbol DBO.  It trades just like a stock, but it is designed to be on par with the price of crude oil. You can go to and type in that ticker symbol to see more about it.
    If you want to be even more aggressive, you could look at ticker symbol UCO.  This does the same thing as the above, but is leveraged so that it corresponds to twice the return of crude oil prices. If crude is up 10%, you would be up 20%. It can be a stressful ride, if crude drops another 10%, you would be down 20%.  

I hope that helps get you started. If you would like to reply with more information about where your 100k is held and how to trade it, please do not hesitate.

Paul Henneman
ValuEngine Inc

Beginner Investing

Paul Henneman

I can answer any questions on investment strategies. Specifically, my expertise lies in long term investment strategies designed to beat market performance while reducing risk. Not get rich quick schemes, but solid investing strategies. DO NOT SEND ME YOUR HOME WORK QUESTIONS! Over one half of the questions I receive are clearly students in finance or economic classes asking for answers to their homework questions. Most of these come from India. I won't answer them, do your own work. However, I welcome all investors trying to negotiate how to invest in stocks, mutual funds, ETF's, and other investments.

15 years in a leadership role at a financial research company. We sell research to institutions such as Wells Fargo, Fidelity, Thomson Reuters, Bloomberg, Bank of NY, Scotia Bank, and others.

Florida International University, University of Florida

Wells Fargo Advisors, Fidelity, Scotia Bank, Thomson Reuters, Capital IQ, Factset, Bloomberg, Bank of NY, CBSMarketWatch, Hoovers, Multex, Yahoo Finance, Zacks, Earthlink Finance, numerous large institutions and hedge funds, subscribers to