Behavior & Learning in School/Have you ever seen a child

uncle duke wrote at 2014-03-07 17:58:27
I'd give the credit to the kids parents/guardians when talking about the handwriting being better than most adults. Here's my example- I was 6 years old and got into a box of matches that we had at home. For a couple of days I would grab about 3-4 books of matches and go around the back side of the house.  I would light 1 match to catch the rest of the book on fire and then throw it into the gutter downspout to watch all the smoke come out. The 2nd time I got caught by my dad. He said "what are you doing?". I said "nothing". His next line was "don't tell me nothing, get in here". I thought it was spanking time but to my dismay he rips open this big brown grocery bag and tells me to write "I will not play with matches" 5000 times. Back then I could barely count past 100, seriously. Every day when he got home from work I had to be at the table writing my punishment, then I was dismissed  until the next day. After a couple of weeks a classmate showed me how to do writing using 2 pencils at the same time. After a couple of days of doing that {2 pencils} I let dad purposely see my new technique. He said that's pretty good, took the pencils away, laid them on the table and said lesson learned. Truth is I didn't make 5000 times but the desire was still there to make it there, plus my handwriting was better. It was easier to write now. If a kid can do that much writing as a 5,6, or 7 year old it will carry on to his upper school years with good results. Example- the sooner the answers are put on paper, the sooner he/she can move on to the next problem not having to worry about the handwriting aspect of the work. It'll be automatic and the compliments will come from all sources, classmates and teachers alike.  Teachers/parents don't look past making the children write for punishment. It'll do them some good- they just won't realize it until later.  

Behavior & Learning in School

Marsha Cunningham

I counseled my students everyday about what to do if they got bullied, called names or felt depressed. I explained what these things do to our confidence and ability to learn.

We used drama to play act, on the spot, most adverse situations so that they could understand my explanations and practice correct behavior, and see what it felt like to be assertive toward bullies, or how it felt to be bullied.