Belize/Safety Traveling to Belize

I was seriously considering traveling to Belize but I was just on the Travel State Government Bureau of consulate Affairs website and it state that their is much crime in Belize with the highest homicide rate per capita in the world. Much gang violence also and drug trafficking.It also does not have much good to say about the road conditions.

The 2007 World Almanac states that "Belize has become a center for drug trafficking between Columbia and the US."

Is all this crime and violence confined mostly to non tourist areas?  

Thanks, jim

I don't really know anything about the crime rate or drug trafficking there. I'm sure it might have all those things, but I guess you just have to have common sense on the areas you go to. I didn't have any problems there and I went to Ambregris Caye and then in the jungle on the mainland. Had a great time both places. Sorry I couldn't help further.

We have been to Belize, Ambergis Caye, all through the Florida Keys from Miami all the way to Key West, in the Bahamas, Marsh Harbour, Hopetown, Great Guano Caye, Man o War. Most of the Islands in the Abacos.