Beverage Distribution/Exclusive distribution and ompetative Laws

In California is there multiple distributors selling liquor and competing against one another?

Example - can I go to more than one locations to buy Vodka for my bar to serve to my customers?

This way I have the choice to pick the cheapest price or is it all exclusive?

There are exclusivity agreements but they are something that you as the Landlord would voluntarily enter into, in order to get a preferred deal (either lower pricing, and/or other forms of support).

Even if you have such, these agreements are broken as in some places, they are difficult to enforce (I don't know about California).

Depending upon your bar, trade, market position, terms available locally, etc. it is incumbent upon you to find the best deal.

Perhaps a distributor is telling you that the situation is different; but I expect s/he'll then hand you a document to sign and that will be the exclusivity agreement.  Better you shop around first before entering into such.  Usually these agreements have terms that are difficult to meet and therefore roll over so that in subsequent years, one remains tied to a distributor.  

Beverage Distribution

Eric Hofer

Over 27 years experience, with 17 in international FMCG in back office operations and in field sales and data collection, including design, development and deployment of Handhelds, Marketing Equipment (Service, Tracking and Return on Investment), reporting and Vending management. Have participated on the launch of operations in new markets, and re-engineered the back office in several countries.

Designed and led the development and deployment internal ERP system for Pepsi used in On-Premise/Vending in 13 markets. Designed 2 handheld systems, the latest is now deployed in 4 markets internationally. Re-engineered the back office functions (settlements, despatch, invoicing, credit control, etc) for over 20 snack, confectionary and beverage operators. Developing software: Progress, VB, Access, C, Sybase, SA

Innovative-Selling Solutions; SalesSuite

State University of New York - BA Economics NYU - Courant - Graduate work - Computing

Moderator of LinkedIn CEE Group

PepsiAmericas PepsiCola International PepsiCola Company British Steel British Telecom Britvic (Pepsi's bottler in the UK) AT&T BellSouth Mars Overseas Bottling Pepsi France Matutano (Frito-Lay Spain) Frito-Lay Pepsi Foods International Chase Manhattan Bank Kidder Peabody National Power SmithKline Beecham Mars Overseas Bottling (Pepsi Azerbaijan) A&P Bottling (Pepsi Serbia & Montenegro) Iberia Bottlers (Pepsi Georgia)