Beverage Distribution/Exclusive distribution and ompetative Laws

Question
In California is there multiple distributors selling liquor and competing against one another?

Example - can I go to more than one locations to buy Vodka for my bar to serve to my customers?

This way I have the choice to pick the cheapest price or is it all exclusive?

Answer
There are exclusivity agreements but they are something that you as the Landlord would voluntarily enter into, in order to get a preferred deal (either lower pricing, and/or other forms of support).

Even if you have such, these agreements are broken as in some places, they are difficult to enforce (I don't know about California).

Depending upon your bar, trade, market position, terms available locally, etc. it is incumbent upon you to find the best deal.

Perhaps a distributor is telling you that the situation is different; but I expect s/he'll then hand you a document to sign and that will be the exclusivity agreement.  Better you shop around first before entering into such.  Usually these agreements have terms that are difficult to meet and therefore roll over so that in subsequent years, one remains tied to a distributor.  

Beverage Distribution

Eric Hofer