Beverage Distribution/Lost

Im a 43 year old that is tired of working hard for other people. I am going to try and start my own company, and I would like for it to involve selling liquor since I know this is a product that going to always going to in demand.I was thinking of some kind of liquor delivery service but I know that sounds far fetched. But i recently thought of liquor catering (such as weddings,parties, events, etc...)What direction do you think I should start out in and what is the first thing I need to do?

My 2 cents for what it's worth.

Whether you are an employee or an entrepreneur, you're nearly always working for somebody else.  It's not going to be any easier being independent: in fact, it could be even scarier as you'll have to risk your own capital.

Setting up a business doing what you intend, I'd ask the following questions and answer them honestly and pragmatically:-
- do you have the contacts that would DEFINITELY buy from you if you set up the service
- can you do both the selling and work
- are there enough customers to support your business, you, etc.

You asked how to go about this.  This is what I suggest you do:-
- identify all the costs and parameters that would drive the business (e.g. we'll get 10 gigs a month, we make 500 a gig after costs, we'll need to travel, xyz distance per delivery, we'll spend y on marketing)
- model them, month-by-month to see what the cash flow looks like and what you'll need to fund or borrow.
- assess what your suppliers are going to charge you:- vehicle, goods, etc.
- what licensing do you require (with liquor there's almost always a gov't regulator/bureaucrat involved)
- consider how your business might evolve:
 .. where do you see yourself in say 5 years; work backwards from there as to how you got there
 .. what avenues are open to you: for example joining up with somebody else who's already doing such
 .. could you partner with somebody else: it's much easier if there are 2 sets of hands and brains
- how might your offering "stand out" to attract customers; how would you market it

Be realistic.  I too hated "working for the man" but the alternative isn't rosier, and this other treadmill is even harder to jump off.

Good luck,  

Beverage Distribution

Eric Hofer

Over 27 years experience, with 17 in international FMCG in back office operations and in field sales and data collection, including design, development and deployment of Handhelds, Marketing Equipment (Service, Tracking and Return on Investment), reporting and Vending management. Have participated on the launch of operations in new markets, and re-engineered the back office in several countries.

Designed and led the development and deployment internal ERP system for Pepsi used in On-Premise/Vending in 13 markets. Designed 2 handheld systems, the latest is now deployed in 4 markets internationally. Re-engineered the back office functions (settlements, despatch, invoicing, credit control, etc) for over 20 snack, confectionary and beverage operators. Developing software: Progress, VB, Access, C, Sybase, SA

Innovative-Selling Solutions; SalesSuite

State University of New York - BA Economics NYU - Courant - Graduate work - Computing

Moderator of LinkedIn CEE Group

PepsiAmericas PepsiCola International PepsiCola Company British Steel British Telecom Britvic (Pepsi's bottler in the UK) AT&T BellSouth Mars Overseas Bottling Pepsi France Matutano (Frito-Lay Spain) Frito-Lay Pepsi Foods International Chase Manhattan Bank Kidder Peabody National Power SmithKline Beecham Mars Overseas Bottling (Pepsi Azerbaijan) A&P Bottling (Pepsi Serbia & Montenegro) Iberia Bottlers (Pepsi Georgia)