Beverages/Cuban Rum

Question
El Infierno
El Infierno  
Hi, my father has a Cuban rum called "Ron El infierno" aged 20 years in wood. I have attached an image. We cannot find ANYTHING on the internet before doing away with it we were wondering if it was worth anything. We do know they do not make it anymore our guess is since the 30's but not sure. Thanks for your help!

Answer
HI Laurie

I have good and bad news for you. The good news is that this is rum.  The alcohol level is so high that it is still perfectly good to drink.  The bad news is that such liquors don't change much at all in the bottle--for better or for worse--which means that they also don't appreciate with age the way some fine wines do. This is worth any more than a current bottling of good rum.

I can't tell you a lot about the history of this one--but I also can't read the fine print on the bottle about the producer...other than that they are a Sociedad Anonima (S.A.) which means a corporation, rather than a private family.  And, course, that this is from before 1961, when the Cuban good embargo went into effect.  Otherwise it would not have been legal for Henry Kelly & Sons to import it.

You might check with the guys at antiquebottles.com. The bottle may be worth more than the liquor inside, and they are very good about that kind of thing.

hope that helps

Paul Wagner

Beverages

Paul Wagner