Beverages/old decorative unopened liquor bottles

I have some beautiful, decorative, unopened liquor bottles that belonged to my Dad who bartended at private parties.  These were given to him by a liqour distributor during the 60's and 70's.  Can you please tell me if they are of value and how I should dispose of them.  Sale or Auction or just open and drink!  Thanks You.

HI Janet

I have good and bad news for you. The good news is that this is all liquor, not wine, and the alcohol level is so high that it is still perfectly good to drink.  The bad news is that such liquors don't change much at all in the bottle--for better or for worse--which means that they also don't appreciate with age the way some fine wines do. Because it hasn't changed, this is not worth any more than a current bottling of the same stuff.

Without photos, I can't really offer an opinion about the bottles themselves, but it is possible that the bottles may be worth more than the liquor inside.  I'm an expert of wine and  liquor, but not on collectible bottles.  I would drop a note to the guys at They are very good about that kind of thing, and I am sure they'll help you.

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.