Beverages/1971 Beameister

QUESTION: A friend came upon an unopened bottle of 1971 Beameister Engelheimer Rotwein. It says German table wine, red rhine wine, product of Germany, Produced and Bottled by GG. Balthasar Diedert - Weingut - Weinkellerei - Bingen/RH.

I am just wondering what you could tell me about it and what the value of it could be as he is trying to sell it to me. Thank you!

ANSWER: Hi Maggie

1971 was a legendary year in Germany, but for sweet white wines, not for red wines.  Unfortunately, this one is certainly well past its prime, and won't have any significant value to wine collectors.  I am sorry that I can't give you better news.

These wines were imported by Jim Beam back in the day (thus the Beameister) and while the wines have lost all their charm, the stoneware bottles often appear on ebay for aroundf $15-20 each.  

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner

QUESTION: Thank you very much for your quick response! That is exactly the info I wanted to know. One last question, if I were to ship it to the other side of the country (for a German relative as a decorative gift), am I better off to leave the seal intact or to just dump it out first? Sorry if that's a lack of common sense question, I just know nothing about wine. :-) Thanks again!!

Hi Maggie

It certainly won't make it worth any less to remove the wine...and it would certainly make it easier to ship.  Many states have laws prohibiting the shipment of alcoholic beverages into the state, because they bypass the state's tax system.

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.