Beverages/adding flavor to wine

I have a gallon of peach wine.Made from fresh fruit,it tasted very good but does not have a peachy flavor. I have a LorAnn oils 1 fl dram of peach flavor. Will this favor my wine? James

HI James

The secret in this case is to get the amount just right.  I would start with a small amount of wine, and a tiny bit of the flavoring. (what you are really looking for here is more the aromatic compound of the fruit---the basic flavors of sweet/sour/bitter/ and salty won't really be affected.)

Just be careful that adding the flavoring might add a bit of bitterness to the taste.

It should work just fine.

Paul Wagner

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.