Beverages/Bellows & Company bottle

I have what appears to be an older bottle from Bellows & Company.  I know it was cork sealed based on cork remnants at the bottom of the bottle.  Other than what is left of the neck band, there are no identifying labels.  What there is, is raised lettering around the bottom and top of the bottle.  The top states "Federal Law Forbids Sale Or Re-Use Of This Bottle" and the bottom states "Bellows & Co, Inc. New York City Cognac, France".  This bottle is 18" tall and 17 3/4" in diameter and is clear with a greenish tint.  It also has several air bubbles through out the body of the bottle as well.  The bottom is indented pretty far as well (about 3").  I have pictures to send if wanted/needed.  Just wanting to know potential age, value, and what it probably held.  Thank you so much for your time and help!  Loretta

Hi Loretta

How cool is that?  What you have here is an old bottle of Cognac (brandy from the Cognac region in southwestern France...wonderful stuff) and because the bottle is a proprietary mold and shape, they don't want other people using it later for liquors of lower quality.

Bellows is part of the Jim Beam family of brands, and they make a lot of different liquors...although not Cognac any more.  I'd estimate the bottle to be about 35 years old...but if you contacted Jim Beam I bet they could give you even more info.

I don't think it's collectible, as I've seen these on ebay for around $20.  But you can always check with  They're the experts in collectible bottles.

Hope that helps

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.