Beverages/Apapat Cognac 1950

ipot76 wrote at 2013-11-20 21:04:07
I thought apapat was an Armenian cognac like brand??

Cliff wrote at 2013-11-30 21:47:49
Hi Tina,

APAPAT Cognac.  As Paul stated it is not proper for it to be called Cognac unless it comes from the Cognac region of France.  However, it is probably a brandy distilled from grapes made in the same way as Cognac, just not made in Cognac, France. The language is Armenian and APAPAT translates to ARARAT,Armenia.  Ararat is the famous mountainous area where Noah's Ark supposedly came to rest.  The Eastern Europeans LOVE Armenian brandy!!  It is actually of VERY, VERY good quality.  The Armenians make first rate brandies, especially old ones.  Where as you may not fetch much money in the USA for this, you probably would fetch something decent off a Russian website as they are one of the biggest consumers of this product and they spend a lot of money on fine alcohols.  I unfortunately do not know which site to guide you to, but at the very least, I hope I have shed some more clarity on the issue.  Ararat Brandies should be found pretty easy on the internet.  I am not sure of the 1950, but it is at least a good head start.  Good Luck!

Paul Wagner

I have spent most of my adult life eating and drinking throughout the world, and can usually remember some of it! With Rick Kushman of Capital Public Radio, I host a radio show and podcast called Bottletalk at, where I answer questions about food and drink on the air.

30 years in the business.

I have taught at Napa Valley College for the past 20 years.

Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Company, The Court of Master Sommeliers, Constellation Wines, The Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux, Vinitaly, Napa County Agricultural Commissioner.